Friday, November 09, 2007

Senator Harkin (D-IA) on King Bush


Quote of the Day:

"Are we just going to have another attorney general that's just going to kowtow to the king -- the president. I'm sorry I get those terms kinda confused here when I'm talking about Bush; I don't know if he's king or president. According to the last attorney general (Bush) was king, and maybe this one believes the same thing, he can do whatever he wants to. But even in 1215, the King of England was held to the standard of habeas corpus. I guess we want to turn the clock back to before the Magna Carta. . . We need an attorney general to tell this king that he's wrong, and that the rule of law will apply and the rule of law says we will not torture."
-- Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa)

Senator Harkin was speaking on the senate floor about the newly confirmed by the Democratic Senate -- Attorney General Michael Mukasey.