Thursday, December 17, 2009

Sen. Sanders Doubts He'll Vote for Healthcare Bill; Liberal Anger Rising

Bernie Sanders, a remarkable senator with some spine or maybe just integrity, doubts he will be able to vote for the senate's sham of a health care bill:


I’m struggling with this. As of this point, I’m not voting for the bill. … I’m going to do my best to make this bill a better bill, a bill that I can vote for, but I’ve indicated both to the White House and the Democratic leadership that my vote is not secure at this point. And here is the reason. When the public option was withdrawn, because of Lieberman’s action, what I worry about is how do you control escalating health care costs? -- Bernie Sanders

"If I were a senator, I would not vote for the current health-care bill. Any measure that expands private insurers' monopoly over health care and transfers millions of taxpayer dollars to private corporations is not real health-care reform."

"The president keeps listening to Rahm Emanuel. No public option, no extending Medicare to 55, no nothing, an excise tax, God! The insurance lobby is taking over."

"Snowe? Stupak? Lieberman? Who left these people in charge?" he said. "It's time for the president to get his hands dirty. Some of us have compromised our compromised compromise. We need the president to stand up for the values our party shares. We must stop letting the tail wag the dog of this debate."

"The White House has been useless."

Labor Holds Emergency Meetings To Discuss Senate Bill, May Formally Oppose