Friday, September 25, 2009

Sen. Kyl (R-AZ) Tries to Strike Maternity Care from Required Insurance Coverage

Update: The National Women's Law Center wants you to shock Senator Jon Kyl with the realization that among the people who vote there are actual, um, women. Help the Selfish Senator Kyle understand that most women and their families need maternity care by sending him your baby photos. I can think of a few other things I'd like to send the cowboy.

It's because of swine like Senator Jon Kyle that the U.S. has such shameful maternal mortality and infant mortality rates. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if we had more women in Congress, we'd have more women and children who get access to lifesaving healthcare. Not that it matters to the likes of self-absorbed Senator Jon Kyle (R-AZ).

"I don't need maternity care. So requiring that on my insurance policy is something that I don't need and will make the policy more expensive."

-- Senator Jon Kyle


Just before the Senate Finance Committee wrapped up for the long weekend, members debated one of Sen. Jon Kyl's (R-AZ) amendments, which would strike language defining which benefits employers are required to cover. Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) argued that insurers must be required to cover basic maternity care. (In several states there are no such requirements.)

"I don't need maternity care," Kyl said. "So requiring that on my insurance policy is something that I don't need and will make the policy more expensive."