Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Roman Polanski Uproar Links (Video)

Samantha Geimer: "He did something really gross to me, but it was the media that ruined my life. . . It was on the evening news every night. Reporters and photographers came to my school and put my picture in a European tabloid with the caption Little Lolita. They were all saying, 'Poor Roman Polanski, entrapped by a 13-year-old temptress.' I had a good friend who came from a good Catholic family, and her father wouldn't let her come to my house anymore. I was this sweet 13-year-old girl, and then all of a sudden I turned into this pissed-off 14-year-old. I was mad at my attorney; I was mad at my mom. I never blamed her for what happened, but I was mad that she had called the police and that we had to go through this ordeal. Now I realize she went through hell trying to handle things as best she could.”

Geimer dropped out of school, got pregnant at 18 and married at 19. She divorced and moved with her family to Hawaii. She later married a carpenter, with whom she had two more children. . . "The one thing that bothers me is that what happened to me in 1977 happens to girls every day, yet people are interested in me because Mr. Polanski is a celebrity."

Hollywood Hypocrisy by Geraldine A. Ferraro at the NY Times (Ferraro's opinion piece is the lone woman's view on a page with the views of six (6) men because when it comes to rape, who we really want to hear from is the men!) : And what really defies explanation are the actions of the Directors Association and actors, like Harrison Ford. Did they remain buddies over the years with a convicted rapist who had fled the jurisdiction because they condoned his rape of the child or because they approved of his actions of absconding and beating the system? Did they do so because this was not such an unusual situation in Hollywood at the time and may still exist today?

Historiann: The word “rape” has been disappeared from the English language -- At least in the coverage of Roman Polanski’s arrest it has! I’ve talked with my women’s history students about this for the past few years, when thinking about patriarchal equilibrium and the fact that I’m old enough now to see a good span of my life historically and to note the changes, and I think the language we use to describe rape has been shaped to the advantage of rapists everywhere. Unless and until all crime victims are going to be referred to as “accusers” in media accounts, I’ll stand by my analysis here.

Roman Polanski's Damning Words In Wanted and Desired

Myiq2xu at The Confluence - Roman Polanski drugged, raped and sodomized a 13 year old child: The title of this post is a key fact that everyone should keep in mind when discussing this case, but it is not the main point of this post. Some rapist enablers people like Jeralyn Merritt don’t even want anyone bring it up . .

Amanda Hess - Roman Polanski Defenses, Refuted: “But he’s already paid his price, because everyone knows he’s a rapist, and he can never work in Hollywood.” As Patrick Goldstein wrote in the LA Times, “I think Polanski has already paid a horrible, soul-wrenching price for the infamy surrounding his actions. The real tragedy is that he will always, till his death, be snubbed and stalked and confronted by people who think the price he has already paid isn’t enough.”

Tiger Beatdown - Perfect Disguise: Isaac Brock, Samantha Shapiro, and the Ethics of Journalism In Rape Culture: . . While it is totally inadvisable to "revenge" rape with a gun, a la Ms. 45, and impossible to revenge rape with vagina teeth, a la Teeth, I have come to the conclusion that it is totally acceptable to shoot rapists in the face with the metaphorical gun of purchasing power!

Jewel on Twitter:
Polanski-admitted raping a 13 yr old-whys every1 in the arts upset hes facing jail? cause hes a gifted director? what am i missing?

Woody Allen and Martin Scorsese: Free Roman Polanski!

Harvey Weinstein: Polanski has served his time and must be freed