Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Record Turnout of Voters in My Liberal Neighborhood


And Latest Poll: Ford 47% vs. Corker 48%

I voted at the Shelby Center here in East Nashville, where I always vote. I've never seen such long lines in my very liberal neighborhood! One of the poll workers said people were lined up at 6:30am; they didn't open until 7:00. A few years ago, I was a poll worker at the Shelby Center. We had long spells without any voters in the room. As I recall we had some 600 voters for the day. We gave out "I Voted" stickers all day long. I voted at 1:30 today. They were all out of stickers!

I'm going to take some first time voters to the polls this afternoon. I'll report back and try to get some photos.

Latest Poll OnPoint (pdf):

Tennessee, Ford One Point Behind Corker 48 -47
Missouri, McCaskill leads Talent 49 - 46
Montana, Tester leads Burns 49 - 44
New Jersey, Menendez leads Kean 50 - 41

via MYDD

Also, Voting Problems in Sullivan County, TN: [Via TPM]

And from Sullivan County, Tennessee, where TPM Reader SJ tried to vote:

"Went to my precinct to vote and all 3 machines were not working. This precinct has a lot of lower-income families and public housing. They finally got one of the machines going, but the lines were out the door - I waited close to an hour and had to get to work. I wasn't the only one - most of those leaving were young(er) working people more likely to vote Democratic. I'll be coming back later to vote, but how many of those that left will be able to do that? You would think the machines would have at least been tested and working before the actual election day."