Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Sarah Palin: Interview with Katie Couric on Feminism, Gay Rights, Abortion, Evolution (Video)


Yesterday was Sarah Palin day on MSNBC. I'm betting today will be too. There's nothing quite like watching Keith Olbermann and Eugene Robinson smirking about swimsuit competitions and discussing with great glee how stupid that woman is.

Too bad more women don't run for high office because Keith and Eugene have a real flair for this kind of politics. You know what they say, if politics is too dirty and thoroughly stupid for women, well it should be for men too. But they invented the game; we just get to play by their insane rules. Changing the rules requires a critical mass of women in the game. We aren't there yet, but it's something to work for. Is anyone else sick and tired of this never-ending and petty and thoroughly stupid election?

Palin Opens Up On Controversial Issues -- VP Candidate Speaks Frankly With Katie Couric About Feminism, Homosexuality, Abortion And The Environment:


Couric: Do you believe evolution should be taught as an accepted scientific principle or as one of several theories?

Palin: Oh, I think it should be taught as an accepted principle. And, as you know, I say that also as the daughter of a school teacher, a science teacher, who has really instilled in me a respect for science. It should be taught in our schools. And I won't deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth. But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught it science class.

The governor told us though she's not a member of any church, she visits a couple of them regularly when she's home. She took issue with news reports that one of them, The Wasilla Bible Church, sponsored a conference where gays could be made straight through prayer.

Palin: Well, it matters though, Katie, when the media gets it wrong. It frustrates Americans who are just trying to get the facts and … be able to make up their mind on, about a person's values. So it does matter. . And you know, I don't know what prayers are worthy of being prayed. I don't know what's prayers are going to be asked and answered. But as for homosexuality, I am not going to judge Americans and the decisions that they make in their adult personal relationships. I have one of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years happens to be gay, and I love her dearly. And she is not my "gay friend," she is one of my best friends, who happens to have made a choice that isn't a choice that I have made. But I am not going to judge people.