Sunday, January 22, 2006

Remembering the Price of Freedom On the Anniversary of Roe


By Femmefire

Today is the anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

Almost every year there are people at Lynnhurst Cemetery in Fountain City, Tennessee staging a mock funeral for people who were never born.

My Mother is buried there along with my maternal grandmother and grandfather in whose home I reside.

On a cold November day in 1971, my Mother put me on a plane to fly to New York City to get a safe, legal abortion in one of two states in which this vital health service was legal at that time. I realize that I was fortunate in that my Mother had the resources at her disposal to take me there. I was 19 years old. I was in no way ready to start my family.

She paid dearly for my reproductive freedom. The next day, her husband, infuriated that she had done this, shot her six times and killed her.

I do not want my beloved Mother’s death to be in vain. Help me by calling Lynnhurst or Berry’s Funeral Home at Lynnhurst to let them know that this practice is offensive to Knoxvillians who support women’s reproductive freedom.

Lynnhurst Cemetery
4717 N. Broadway
Knoxville, TN 37918
(865) 689-2120
info@lynnhurst-cemetery.com

Lynnhurst-Greenwood Chapel
2300 West Adair Dr.
Knoxville, TN 37918
(865) 689-8888
info@lynnhurstchapel.com

The media coverage calmed a bit last year, but please notice if there is local press coverage. If there is, there will be few if any opposing voices heard, judging from past years. Please let our media outlets know that this local bias is not acceptable to the good people in their viewing/reading area.

WBIR / WATE / WVLT / Knoxville News-Sentinel

Please help me spread the word that on the 33rd anniversary of Roe v. Wade, we support women’s right to own their own bodies.

Memories of Mother



Posted by egalia for Femmefire