Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mayor Bloomberg: 'The City Is Safe for Women'

"Today, a woman could walk in virtually every neighborhood in this city during the day and not look over her shoulder, and most neighborhoods at night."

-- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg

One thing problematic about Mayor Bloomberg's assertion:

It ain't true. What actual women say:

"Bloomberg's trippin'. This isn't the upper East Side. He's definitely out of touch with what women deal with in the Bronx."

"I know the mayor doesn't have to worry about walking home from the subway, but I sure do. If he thinks we don't still have to watch our backs, he's crazy."


"I love my neighborhood. I feel safe in it, but I wouldn't walk anywhere in New York without being aware of what's behind my shoulder. As a woman, you have to be aware of your surroundings."


Bookmark and Share