Monday, May 17, 2010

Police Kill 7-Year-Old Girl in Detroit Raid in Wrong House

I used to wonder why America has the highest crime rate in the industrialized world. Now I think I know, it's the crimes committed by cops in all those midnight raids at the wrong houses (police were raiding both portions of a duplex). Why can't they come in the daytime? And what the hell is it with the grenades? I used to live in a country that presumed innocence. When cops are throwing grenades and breaking down doors at midnight, clearly there is no presumption of innocence! It breaks my heart. Her name was Aiyana Jones. Her family's life is ruined:

(CNN) -- Police in Detroit, Michigan, on Sunday expressed "profound sorrow" at the fatal shooting of a 7-year-old girl in a police raid. Aiyana Jones was shot and killed by police executing a search warrant as part of a homicide investigation, Assistant Chief Ralph Godbee said in a statement.

Aiyana's father, Charles Jones, told CNN affiliate WDIV, "She was sleeping and they came in the door shooting and throwing flash grenades ... burned my baby up and shot her, killed her."