Tuesday, July 15, 2008

CoverGate: Obama Drama as Selective Outrage


Newsweek's irony challenged Jonathan Alter joins the mob of appalled, shocked, enraged and outraged by the New Yorker cover depicting the Obamas as silly flag-burning cartoon terrorists.

Jonathan Alter fears that 'low information' voters who peruse the New Yorker will seize upon the cartoon as bona fide confirmation of all those rumored anonymous right-wing email hit jobs on Obama. For all those 'low information' voters who migrate from the New Yorker to Newsweek, Alter does his part by providing "a list of every anti-Obama smear he can think of, all listed in bold text."

Gawd. Who will save us from the irony?

Peterfeld.com:

I am so pissed I can’t even contain myself.
I just forward this picture to all my friends and family so they can be on notice.
They are trying to prevent him from being President of the United State of America
I am on fire
Haha, I thought. “I’m so mad someone might take this cover seriously that I’m going to forward it to everyone I know!” Idiot.

The Obama camp continues to be outraged and insists that the cartoon is tasteless and offensive.

Want to See "Tasteless and Offensive"?

Graphic via Susie Madrak