Thursday, May 15, 2008

NARAL Endorsement of Obama Enrages Pro Choicers


NARAL Pro-Choice America appears to be on a suicide mission. After Hillary Rodham Clinton's very long record of fighting for choice, NARAL endorsed the cool dude with the thin resume. Is NARAL run by teens or what?

Among the many who were quick to condemn NARAL's foolish endorsement were the National Women's Political Caucus, EMILY'S List president, Ellen Malcolm, and a dozen plus congresswomen. The congresswomen held a press conference for the purpose of condemning NARAL's action:

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz said "we feel abandoned by this organization today."

Rep. Jane Harman called it "a betrayal."


But the real excitement is over at the NARAL blog, where there are some 3,000 angry comments like the ones below. NARAL might consider a baked goods sale the next time it needs money.

I have never been so disgusted. How dare you claim to represent pro-choice women and then turn your back on one of the most influential women's right advocates in recent history? I am a lifelong activist and I will never, never forgive you for this. Hillary has been a champion for women's rights. Remember ICPD? Remember VAWA? What has Obama done that can hold a candle to her record? Nothing. He has not one comparable achievement. History will not treat you kindly. You'll be remembered as part of the howling mob who tried to tear apart the woman who dared reach for the highest office in the land. And for what? You know Obama is wishy-washy on choice. He never mentions women's issues. He clearly will not be a leader for us. Shame on you. Shame shame shame.

I am outraged. This is absolutely ridiculous. I will never give money or support to NARAL again. Shame on you. Hillary Clinton has worked her entire life for women's rights and to keep abortion legal in America. This is insulting and a slap in a face to her career and to all women. Shame on you.

Shame on NARAL. Hillary Clinton has an unequivocal, strong and unquestioned position on choice. Obama has been trying to be "in the middle" on this issue as on every other issue. For you to turn your back on the most viable woman candidate before the primary season is over is an outrage. You are joining too many men in the Democratic party who would rather lose an election than nominate a woman.

Why settle for thirty years of fighting for women's rights when you can have 'present' votes and obscure statements of 'support' from Obama? To say this is a low point for NARAL is an understatement. I will need to consider alternative vehicles for my contributions toward women's reproductive rights.

I'm extremely upset, and ashamed. You just lost all my support, membership, and donations. - How can we get removed from future mailings? How can I have contributions refunded?

NARAL has completely lost my support. You have confirmed my long-held contention that feminism in this country is truly dead. I hope your organization can continue to operate with Obama's new coalition...you're gonna need it.

I just wish I never wrote NARAL a check! I will never support NARAL again. Now, my money will go to EMILYs list or Planned Parenthood. Shame on you.

Et tu Brute! That's quite a blow to your gender and delivered at a prime time in the campaign, too. The most rabid woman haters could not have done more damage.

Fools! Kiss your donation goodbye! I'm ashamed to say I ever served on the NARAL board in PA. Take me off all of your lists... emails / phone calls begging for money - you are OUT - if I get one call or harrassment / I'll take legal action.

Meanwhile NARAL affiliates are distancing themselves from the NARAL Pro-Choice America endorsement. Apparently they were not consulted or on board with the divisive decision. "NARAL groups in Pennsylvania, Missouri, Oregon, Washington, Texas and New York -- Clinton's home state -- have issued statements . . emphasizing that the national group did not speak for them."

HillBuzz has the contact info for NARAL.