Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Misogyny and Death Threats Aimed at Tech Blogger


Update & Bump: In a BBC story, Kathy Sierra is not shy about attributing the campaign against her to the fact that she is "a woman in the male-dominated technology world."

Robert Scoble, author of the popular technology blog Scobleize concurs: "It's this culture of attacking women that has especially got to stop. I really don't care if you attack me. I take those attacks in my stride. But, whenever I post a video of a female technologist there invariably are snide remarks about body parts and other things that simply wouldn't happen if the interviewee were a man."

Techno-guru Kathy Sierra has received so much support that her story is number one at Technorati. A number of tech bloggers have temporarily suspended blogging as a show of support and solidarity. There is also talk of an anti-cyberbullying day on March 30. -- end of update--

I got so mad this morning about the sick death threats that caused tech blogger Kathy Sierra to cancel her presentation at the ETech conference that I ranted and raved instead of saying what I should have said.

Please go over and offer her a supportive comment. [Warning: there's some really gross stuff.)

Graphic via Kathy Sierra