Saturday, February 10, 2007

Obama Makes it Official & Sounds Like Kennedy


Barack Obama announced his candidacy for the office of president today. And he spoke of a plan to "bring our combat troops home by March of 2008."

Obama has been compared to Jack Kennedy, and with lines like the following, it's easy to see why:

"If you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching before us; if you sense, as I sense, that the time is now to shake off our slumber, and slough off our fear, and make good on the debt we owe past and future generations, then I'm ready to take up the cause, and march with you, and work with you."

That's quite a change from the lofty presidential rhetoric we're accustomed to: Bring 'em On!, Wanted Dead or Alive!, Axis of Evil!, and They Hate Us for Our Freedom!

Obama said that something has been lost since the Kennedy era. The Democrat said, "I want to win, but I don't just want to win. I want to transform this country."

You can view the video of Obama's announcement at his website.

Obama and his wife, Michelle, will appear on 60 Minutes this Sunday, Feb. 11.