Monday, July 11, 2011

Cornel West: Obama Has Become A Mascot of Wall Street Oligarchs


Quote of the Day

“I thought Barack Obama could have provided some way out. But he lacks backbone. [He has become] a black mascot of Wall Street oligarchs and a black puppet of corporate plutocrats... I don’t think in good conscience I could tell anybody to vote for Obama.”

Truthdig:

Obama and West’s last personal contact took place a year ago at a gathering of the Urban League when, he says, Obama “cussed me out.”

“He makes a bee line to me right after the talk, in front of everybody,” West says. “He just lets me have it. He says, ‘You ought to be ashamed of yourself, saying I’m not a progressive. Is that the best you can do? Who do you think you are?’ I smiled. I shook his hand. . It was so disrespectful,” he went on, “that’s what I didn’t like. I’d already been called, along with all [other] leftists, a “F’ing retard” by Rahm Emanuel because we had critiques of the president.”

Sun-Times: The Disappearing Black Middle Class

Bookmark and Share