Thursday, November 05, 2009

Rihanna Talks: 'Eff Love' (Video)

Rihanna shares her experience, as a victim of domestic violence, with the world via an interview with Diane Sawyer on Good Morning America. Be advised. This is just a preview, but it's painful to watch.


Anna N. at Jezebel writes:

One of the saddest parts of the interview was the singer's admission that she still feels ashamed of the violence she suffered. She says, "I fell in love with that person. That's embarrassing. That's embarrassing that that's the type of person that I fell in love with, so far in love, so unconditionally that I went back." And even though she adds that, "It's completely normal to go back. You start lying to yourself," she says she feels guilty about the message her return to Brown sent to her fans.

This is a difficult part of the interview to watch, because Rihanna seems to authentically reproach herself for somehow being a "bad" role model. She says, "I realize that my selfish decision for love could result in some young girl getting killed." It's a big burden to shoulder, especially for someone still recovering from a trauma, and especially for someone who is herself so young.

"When I realized that my selfish decision for love could result into some young girl getting killed -- I could not be easy with that." -- Rihanna