Friday, August 28, 2009

She Plays Ball Like A Girl, In the Little League World Series

Katie Reyes is being hailed as "the first girl game-winner" in a Little League World Series game. Katie became the hero with a two-run single that won the game for Canada!

Obviously, precious few girls have been permitted to play. Since 1984, that would be all of 15 girls playing in the Little League World Series. This year, there were all of 2 girls.

As far as we know, the first girl to play in the LLWS was Kathryn Johnston. Back in 1950, she passed as a boy by tucking her hair under her hat and using the nickname "Tubby."

''They didn't know I was a girl, and my brother didn't say anything,'' she said. ''If I had told them my real name, they wouldn't have let me play. So I told them my name was Tubby, from the male character in the cartoon strip 'Little Lulu.'

''I played a couple of weeks and then I talked to my coach. I said: 'I really need to tell you something. I'm not a boy. I'm a girl.' He said, 'That's O.K., you're a darned good player.' So I ended up playing the whole season at first base and became sort of a drawing card, because everybody wanted to see a girl play.''