Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Zach Is Home and Blogging Again

It seems like the whole world has been waiting for news of Zach's safe return from the Memphis based Love In Action camp meant to cure him of his gayness. Now that he's back and blogging again (see below), he can add the intrusive glare of world-wide fame to the difficulties he must deal with.

As I read his new post, I kept reminding myself that any adult would be overwhelmed and challenged by what he has been through and is still trying to make sense of. The 16 year old kid is going to need time, support and space.

If there is any silver lining to be found in all of this then surely it is the attention that has been drawn to the anti-gay "reparative therapy" programs practiced by groups like Love In Action:

"Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays has called for an ongoing and substantive discussion about the effects of "reparative therapy" on young people and their families.

"As families who have faced these very issues in our own lives, we must give Zach and his family the space and privacy they need to deal with this situation," said Jody Huckaby, PFLAG's executive director shortly before the teen left the camp.

"We also must insist, as allies and advocates for our gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) loved ones, that 'reparative therapy' programs are not allowed to prosper unchallenged at the expense of our family members and friends."
"

Zach blogs again: (snippets)

Monday, August 01, 2005
New Blog

"This isn't going to become my life. I won't let it. There's more to me than this. I've erased the original blogs. I know they're still out there somewhere, but the originals aren't. I haven't been able to see all of the news, newspaper, magazine, etc. articles and such, so I don't know exactly what to say. Currently I feel annoyed towards a lot of things. Love In Action has been misrepresented and what I have posted in my blogs has been taken out of perspective and context. I don't take back the things I've said, nor am I going to pr etend like it never happened. It did. I refuse to deal with people who are only focused on their one-sided (biased) agendas. It isn't fair to anyone.

I'm very frustrated with the things going on in my life now, but everyone has their issues. Homosexuality is still a factor in my life--- it's not who I am, it never has been. Those of you who really know me, know that homosexuality was always there but it didn't run my life, and it will not now.

I understand the concern, and I sooo appreciate everyone caring as much as they seemed to have. I REALLY do. But, I'm still alive. I don't believe I've been brainwashed. It's almost insulting, thinking about it, to be brainwashed. I think that I'm going to be ok. I could write forever on how content I felt when I signed on, because of all of the messages, comments, etc. I'm not going to allow myself to be pressured into a response of any kind - im trying my best.

Thanks. I'll keep adding as it's needed."


Previous Posts about Zach