Tuesday, June 14, 2005

More on Zach at the Memphis Gay Brainwashing Camp

Update 7-16-05 - for the latest see One Week Away From Freedom From Refuge - Zach Makes New York Times.

This is a follow up to the previous post on 16-year-old Zach, who is being held against his will in a gay brainwashing camp in Memphis. You can follow the links in the previous post to learn about the camp's 'shaming sessions' and isolation tactics.

The Queer Action Coalition reports that Monday's demonstration was the largest yet. Two psychiatrists showed up, as well as a former victim of the Love in Action brainwashing camp. The Republic of T has a better name for the camp: Camp Hetero Horror.

Mike Ditto at Janus Online points out the similarities between Camp Hetero Horror and cults.

Andrew Sullivan says if you can't be there to Act-Up, "you can send your moral support to the abused kid here. Blogs can be oases of freedom in totalitarian societies, and also in fundamentalist boot camps."

Zach now has almost 500 supportive comments on his last post. He has not been able to blog since his arrival at the camp. Reading the comments makes me feel better about the deplorable state of our species, so I'm posting a few of them here, in case it makes you feel better too. There are also some good ideas, or things we can do that might help Zach.

Jesus f'ing Christ! You're a brave guy, Zach. I cannot believe what the USA is becoming ---> The Nazis thought conditioning "undesirables" was a good idea. Sending my love from the UK, and promising to get in touch with the BBC about this. Keep strong buddy. xxx
Posted by Stacey

I just wanted to take the time to let you know you're in my thoughts and that my heart goes out to you and to everyone subjected to this program. This outpouring of support should serve as a reminder to the fact that you really aren't alone in this, and that you will get through it and things will get better. You have people all over the world rooting for you (like me in Ottawa, Canada ), and that in itself is pretty damn cool. Stay strong and be true to yourself.
Posted by Brian

Hi, Zach: Your story has hit the blogosphere like a ton of bricks. Andrew Sullivan mentioned you the other day, and so have a lot of other writers -- including me. I'm a journalist working in the LGBT print and radio sectors. I've been on my email all day letting editors and broadcasters know about your story. Love in Action has received a lot of negative press in the past because of its cruel treatment of its clients, and the brainwashing techniques it employs.. Please remember that you have done nothing wrong, no matter what you have been told. Please also remember that God is a Being of compassion, mercy and forgiveness. No one acting in His name would ever hurt you like this.
Posted by Crow


Zach, your story is making its way around the country, if not the world. You have many people supporting you. People like your mother are operating out of fear. Don't listen.I'm from Memphis, and I am in public and media relations. I've emailed all the newsfolk I know plus Oprah about your story in hopes it will be brought to light so that you and others will be spared this kind of abuse. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I never knew there was such a place in Memphis.
Posted by Ashley

I'm here for you all the way. Keep your chin up. When you get out, if you need a place to go, I have a spare bed. I'm in Dallas, so that might be a bit far for you, but if you need somewhere to go, just email me. We're all here for you. Much love.
Posted by Hannah

I just submitted the story and some relevant info to the ACLU. I hope anyone else who reads this does the same so that they'll pick it up and do something. Child abuse should never be tolerated.
Posted by Chris

You are in our prayers in Philadelphia. Don't change a bit. People love you and you deserve to be yourself. don't let the "program" make you hate yourself. Love.
Posted by wanda


It occurs to me that if the Brainwashing In Action people discover the existence of all these comments supporting Zach, they might try to persuade his parents to have his account shut down for fear of actually, you know, all these comments making Zach feel like he's a good person the way he is, or something. I have therefore saved all the comment pages (up through comment 377) to text files -- strictly text files, no pics or links or anything -- just so he can read them all in case something happens to his account.
Posted by mike

Zach spoke of suicide in his last post:

"I'm not a suicidal person... really I'm not.. I think it's stupid - really. But.. I can't help it, no im not going to commit suicide, all I can think about is killing my mother and myself. It's so horrible. This is what it's doing to me... I have this horrible feeling all of the time... I wish this on no person... I'm so satisfied--happy's too strong of a word the state I'm in-- that everyone's taking the time to email and write letters in complaint to these people. I dont know if it will do anything, but if something did happen it would be -- awesome."


A Massachusetts survey of high school gays found that 40% reported they had attempted suicide. Zach is going to need all the support he can get when he gets out of Camp Hetero Horror.

It only takes a couple of minutes to set up an account and leave a comment on his blog.