Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Nuclear assault imminent - women's lives endangered by religious supremacists' judicial candidates



TruthOut has an article by Marjorie Cohn, one of their contributing editors, who is a professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, executive vice president of the National Lawyers Guild, and the US representative to the executive committee of the American Association of Jurists.

In "
Right to Choice under Nuclear Attack," Cohn outlines the herstory of choice in Amerika and with sparkling clarity shows how the religious supremacists are attempting to ransack our government, destroy our Constitution, and lay in place the groundwork for the Fourth Reich headed by none other than Herr Busch.

The stakes are high. I can attest to that. My Mother gave her life for my right to choose the size of my family. She gave her life by taking me to New York City on November 21, 1971. We went to New York because it was much closer than California. Those were the only two states in the U.S. in which a legal abortion could be obtained at that time.

One day later, she was shot and killed in a dental office owned by her husband in a small town in East Tennessee. It's that same small town I referenced a few entries back in the interview with Esther Kaplan. It is a hotbed of Southern Baptist extremism, their denials of such notwithstanding.

She was killed as her dentist husband lost his temper as he had so many times over the course of their 13 year marriage. She was killed because he was angry.

"His women don't get abortions." Those words will ring in my ears until the day I die. They were among the last words my Mother heard as her lifeblood ebbed away on that Fall day two years before my right, our right to have contol over our bodies became law in the Roe v. Wade decision of 1973.

As Frist the Terrible of Tennessee readies his nuclear arsenal, he aims directly at women. Make no mistake about it, this battle is for our very lives.