Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Enemy of Choice: Apathy


by MzNicky
As egalia mentioned, yesterday I called my Knox County Senate representative, Ms. Jamie Woodson, to find out her position on the proposed anti-choice legislation the Tennesssee state senators are voting on tomorrow.

I spoke to her assistant, who said that she didn't know what Senator Woodson's position on this bill was, because no one had asked about it yet, and she'd have to get back to me. About an hour later, she did call me back. She said that Ms. Woodson did support the legislation. I told her that I was very disappointed to hear that, especially because in my opinion Ms. Woodson as a woman was betraying all women in the state. Her assistant said she would relay that message to the senator.

If you live in Knox County, I would urge you to call Ms. Woodson at 615-741-1648 and let her know how you feel about her position. That they seem surprised to even hear from anyone about this speaks volumes.

I'm old enough to have gone through this fight before, under much less daunting circumstances than we now face. It's IMPERATIVE that, if you are outraged by this current, way-odious steamrolling of women's concerns, you make yourself heard. NOW. If not now, when? If not you, who?

Go ahead and believe that the right to abortion will never affect you, or your children, or their children. That it's really not such a big deal. Because it IS a big deal. You never know. These people want to shut off all options for women, and children, who may find themselves pregnant, at some point, under ANY circumstance. Think about that. Look at your loved ones. Think of those who have no one to think of them. Then, for the sake of anything you find sacred, DO SOMETHING. This just cannot stand.

The TN Senate votes - today - on a measure that would put abortion rights on the ballot.

For details see:
The War on Women in TN: Press Conference
Pro Choice Alert: Stand Up for Choice in TN!



posted by egalia for MzNicky