Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sen. Arlen Specter to Switch Parties!


Sen. Arlen Specter has had it with being a Know-Nothing Republican. He is so out of there. Specter announced today that he is switching parties. Like I said, thank the Goddess that the Republican Party is dying! And Arlen Specter (D-PA!) is too smart to go down with the increasingly irrelevant and lonely southern minority party.

Next up, a sixty seat filibuster proof majority in the Senate and health care reform for you and me! With Specter, we have 59 Dems in the Senate, just waiting impatiently for Al Franken to arrive and make it 60!
BTW, how many of the vanishing breed of Republicans are left in the Northeast? Two? And they are both in Maine and feeling the pressure.

Chris Cillizza reports from the Washington Post:

"I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary," said Specter in a statement. "I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election."

He added: "Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans."


Specter's full historic statement

Update: Specter told the president, "I'm a loyal Democrat. I support your agenda."