Friday, April 24, 2009

Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) Attacks Al Gore (& Embarrasses Tennessee, Again) (Video)


In today's hearing on climate change, Tennessee's Marsha Blackburn suggested (to his face) that Al Gore's motivation for sponsoring climate change legislation is greed. That's right, the woman who has built her career on the backs of poor people in this poor state thinks (sic) Al Gore has been signing up for derision and mockery from the flat-earthers for the last 3-4 decades simply because the man is greedy.

Some days a deep and abiding outrage over the unbearable male domination in this country makes me think I should always cast my vote for a woman, even if she is to the right of Attila the Hun. Then I remember Marsha Blackburn and come to my senses.

Steve Benen:

By the time Blackburn had said, "I'm not making accusations..." the laughter in the room was audible. She was unambiguously attacking Gore's integrity, arguing that he's working on the issue to enrich himself. It was quite a ridiculous display, even for Blackburn.


I believe that the transition to a green economy is good for our economy and good for all of us. And I have invested in it. But every penny that I have made, I have put right into a non-profit, the Alliance for Climate Protection, to spread awareness about why we have to take on this challenge. And Congresswoman, if you're, if you believe the reason I have been working on this issue for 30 years is because of greed, you don't know me. -- Al Gore

The largest corporate carbon polluters in America, 14 years ago, asked their own people to conduct a review of all of this science. And their own people told them, "What the international scientific community is saying is correct, there is no legitimate basis for denying it." Then, these large polluters committed a massive fraud far larger than Bernie Madoff's fraud. They are the Bernie Madoffs of global warming. They ordered the censoring and removal of the scientific review that they themselves conducted, and like Bernie Madoff, they lied to the people who trusted them in order to make money. -- Al Gore

After Appearing In Gore Ads Last Year, Gingrich Now Decries Green Economy Bill As ‘Path Of Destruction’

WASHINGTON (AP) — Al Gore . . called a House measure that would curb the gases blamed for global warming one of the most important bills ever in Congress.