Monday, November 17, 2008

Wanda Sykes Comes Out: "Proud to Be Gay" (Video)


Wanda Sykes spoke at a Prop 8 protest in Las Vegas yesterday and surprised the crowd with the news that she is gay. Sykes said she and her partner were married in California last month. The comedian had not previously discussed her sexual orientation publicly (and divorced her husband in 1998).

"You know, I don't really talk about my sexual orientation. I didn't feel like I had to. I was just living my life, not necessarily in the closet, but I was living my life. Everybody that knows me personally they know I'm gay. But that's the way people should be able to live their lives," she said.

Sykes said the passage of Prop 8 made her feel like she was under attack: "Now, I gotta get in their face . . I'm proud to be a woman. I'm proud to be a black woman, and I'm proud to be gay. . . They pissed off the wrong group of people!"



Wanda Sykes Gay As The Day Is Long
Wanda Sykes: Declaring Herself Gay, After Feeling 'Attacked' By Proposition 8
The Out-standing Wanda Sykes
Wanda Sykes comes out during anti-Prop 8 rally