Friday, February 08, 2008

NBC Suspends Shuster for Misogynistic Attack on Chelsea


David Shuster has been suspended by woman-hating NBC for effectively calling Chelsea Clinton a whore and her mom a pimp. On the Tucker Carlson show, Shuster said "doesn't it seem like Chelsea's sort of being pimped out in some weird sort of way" by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's (D-NY) presidential campaign. (Youtube clip of MSNBC's David Shuster sliming Chelsea and Hillary Clinton.)

Shuster, who refused to apologize when he was personally contacted by the Clinton campaign, did apologize after he was ordered to do so and he was ordered to apologize both on air and to the Clintons.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Shuster is being suspended and forced to apologize well before the angry women carrying signs show up outside the NBC building. Has Clinton-hating NBC seen the error of their hateful, misogynistic ways?

Nope. The Clinton camp threatened to boycott future MSNBC debates. And that is a great idea. Just because politics is dirty doesn't mean it has to be nauseating, and I'm experiencing waves of nausea every freaking time I turn on MSNBC. Hillary and Obama are scheduled for a debate on the hypermasculine channel on Feb. 26. The very thought makes me retch. The MSNBC boys club makes Rush Limbaugh look like a feminist.

After Shuster's on-air apology this morning, Clinton Communications director Howard Wolfson slammed the entire network:

I'm not aware that they've apologized. I haven't received any phone call. I'm not aware that Senator Clinton or Chelsea Clinton has received any phone calls so I'm not familiar with any apology. Look, I think that the comment is disgusting. It's beneath contempt. And it's the kind of thing that should never be said on a national news network. There was an apology by another NBC news personality last month on air. I'm not aware that that person ever apologized to the Senator for anything he had said.

And I think at some point you really have to question whether or not there is a pattern here at this particular network where you have comments being made and then apologies given. Is this part of a pattern? Is there something that folks are encouraged to do or not do? I don't know, but the comment was beneath contempt and I think any fair-minded person would see it that way. I'll say this. We've done a number of debates on that network. We had agreed yesterday to do a debate on that network. And I at this point can't envision a scenario where we would continue to engage in debates on that network given the comments that were made and have been made.


Let the boy channel have the all-boy debates. Hillary and all women get a fairer deal even over at Fox News! Who the fuck needs woman-hating MSNBC? Girlcott 'em!

Ellen Malcom, aka Emily's List is also seriously pissed. Emily's List sent a letter to NBC news czar Phil Griffin Friday saying: "the misogynistic pattern in the reporting by your network must come to an end. I know I speak for millions across this country when I demand that you take immediate steps and publicly tell us what you will do to eliminate this sexist and demeaning culture that has become so pervasive in your network."

Email MSNBC, aka the Misogyny Broadcasting Corporation, and tell them what's on your mind: viewerservices@msnbc.com -- and make a donation to Hillary Rodham Clinton.