Thursday, June 22, 2006

Radical Right Slugs It Out for Frist's Senate Seat


The 3 GOP contenders for Frist's Senate Seat are: 100% Anti-Choice, 100% Anti-Gay, 100% Anti-Immigrant and 100% Anti-Tax. But never fear, the notoriously illiberal 3 are for something - all 3 are 100% Pro Ultra White Rich Christian Male.

The 3 narrow-minded white male GOP contenders for Frist's Senate seat unveiled their back-to-the-19th-century views yesterday on Steve Gill's morning shock jock talk show on WWTN-FM 99.7.

While they slugged it out with the usual rightwing venom, the 3 seem to have the same views on pretty well everything. They oppose a woman's right to choose. They oppose gay rights - all 3 support a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. All 3 are firmly on the anti-immigrant bandwagon. And, of course, all 3 would give themselves tax breaks.

If this were the 1950s, there is no doubt that the 3 rightwingers would all be on record as opposed to miscegenation - "the mixing of different ethnicities or races" - or racial integration and interracial marriage.

But since it's 2006, they're not saying.

Each of the 3 paints the other 2 as evil tax-raisers. There is no evidence that any of the 3 can relate to the ordinary Americans who live and work outside of the wannabe-senators' notoriously affluent white Christian gated-suburban communities.

Bob Corker has a record of being a little less extreme than his political bedfellows, Ed Bryant and Van Hilleary. But in the heat of the slugfest, Corker appears to be quickly disavowing his shamefully moderate past. Below are the rightwingers' predictable views on a woman's right to choose.

'I'm 100% Pro Life' vs. 'I'm Endorsed by Right-to-Life' vs. 'I'd Overturn Roe v. Wade':

Bob Corker: “I am 100 percent pro life. Certainly in 1994, when I ran for the Senate, I came straight out of the construction field and I was asked about the issue, and what I said was that I was personally pro-life but I did not believe it was a government issue. I was wrong … I understand the issue more fully and in a different way. I’m in a different place spiritually. I was wrong in ’94. You can count on me to be a 100-percent pro life as a United States senator.” Corker said he would make exceptions in cases of rape or incest.

Ed Bryant: Noted that he has been endorsed by Tennessee Right to Life. His stand on abortion is consistent, he said — “The feelings of the heart that I’ve had over the years, not something I’ve done for the convenience of getting elected.”

Van Hilleary: “I would vote to overturn Roe vs. Wade.” He said he would make an exception on abortion if the life of the mother was in jeopardy.

While Corker has raised more money, a recent Zogby poll finds each of the 3 radical conservatives to be in a statistical tie with the Democratic contender from Memphis, U.S. Rep. Harold Ford Jr.

Here's a clue for our conservative Democrat, Harold Ford: Instead of telling us how conservative you are, try telling us how - or if - you are any different from these 3 equally dangerous back-to-the-19th-century extremists. (More here on: How conservative is Ford? via the Cursor.)

Think Tennessee progressives have no choice other than to suck it up and vote for our notoriously illiberal Dem? Think again - and again.

Early voting for the Aug. 3 Daddy Party primary begins on July 14.