Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Chris Matthews: How Do You Get those Visceral Women to Vote for Obama? (Video)


vis•cer•al - not intellectual, proceeding from instinct rather than intellect, characterized by or dealing with coarse or base emotions; earthy; instinctive, unreasoning. .

Transcript - Chris Matthews: If you talk to people, older women, and you talk to them. . . older women. . and they get really angry at me, of course .. How do you get those older women – I think that’s the strongest constituency for Hillary – the strained women, the woman who maybe works hard, maybe was a hard working woman, maybe her marriage wasn’t the greatest thing in the world in terms of economics, in terms of . . her life wasn’t that great and they look at Hillary as their champion that’s gonna save them and pull them out of this rut they’ve been in for 30 or 50 years or 60 years.

How do you move them, after all this visceral attitude toward Barack Obama, to him, if that has to happen. . . I talk to visceral!! These people have a visceral attitude about Barack Obama and against him. It is so deep. . . A woman said to me… a rather well turned out woman [for Hillary] said to me last night… I’m voting for McCain.. . Now I’ve heard that from women of all walks of life.



I got a sister-in-law like that. She’s a very feminist woman. . Eileen Kennedy, [she’s for Hillary but she’s going to vote for McCain] .. . I’ll hear about this later. . . Even though it will run against every one of her principles, in terms of the Supreme Court and women’s rights and everybody’s rights.. I mean it’s so visceral. . .